About St. Lawrence Friary
In 2006 a wing of the building of St. Lawrence Friary, which had been originally used for the formation of young Capuchin students, was renovated. It contains 20 rooms each with a full bath and heat and air control. Six rooms have trundle beds for those who would like to double up. There are also five handicapped rooms for those in need. The two floors are entirely accessible by stairs or elevator.
St. Lawrence is a quiet oasis located on the banks of the Hudson River. It comprises 25 acres of beautiful grounds with many walking paths. It is in the quiet that peace comes to one’s soul and God is found in a new and special way. You are invited to come and “taste of the sweetness of the Lord.”
- 1936, October 14th – the 20 acres of Beacon property purchased for $16,000.
- 1937, July 15th – the cornerstone of the monastery was blessed.
- 1938, September – philosophy teaching begin.
- 1939, August 15th – work begins on the seminary and chapel.
- 1940, July 23rd – seminary and chapel work completed and blessed.
- 1941, September 19th – philosophy teaching transfer to Bronx, NY.
- 1943, November 19th – cemetery on the grounds is opened and blessed.
- 1949 – teaching of philosophy for province is returned to the St. Lawrence friary.
- 1949 – seminary training ceases at St. Lawrence and moved to Geneva, NY.
- 1958 – Theology to Italy – College remains in Beacon, NY
- 1972 – Novitiate and College at Beacon, NY
- 1978 – Infirmary dedicated
- 1980 – Infirmary and Novitiate
- 1988 – Friary, Infirmary and Postulancy
- 1994 – Friary and Infirmary
- 2007 – Retreat Center opened
- 2010 – Friary and Infirmary renovated
- 2014 – Friary, Retreat Center and Infirmary continue